Thursday, January 5, 2012

My Go-To Book

Teaching in Room 6 is hosting a linky party about your go-to teaching book!

The book I want to talk about isn't necessarily a teaching resource per se, but it's a book that has, at the risk of sounding so cliched, changed my life - or at least, definitely changed how I think about and relate to the parents of my students.
My Baby Rides the Short Bus is an anthology of essays by parents of children with disabilities. It is perhaps the most honest thing I have ever read in my life. I laughed, cried, cringed and gasped through the entire book. I nodded when reading things I'm so familiar with, and then, was convicted by my own misunderstanding. In my experience teaching students who have severe impairments, the parents are often one of the most difficult aspects of the job - and I can't really describe how much this book did to re-shape my understanding of and respect for the parents of the kids I teach.

(A disclaimer: if you are familiar with and love the "Welcome to Holland" poem, this book is kind of for and by the anti-Holland crowd. And still - anyone who has students with disabilities in their class needs to read this book.)

Head on over to the linky party and share your own go-to book!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking up! The book you chose sounds very powerful. It seems like something i am going to definitely have to check out. Welcome to the world of blogging!

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im your newest follower! I might have to check out this book soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover