Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Michigan freebies

Michigan has been on my mind lately - of course because of our fantabulous Michigan blogger meetup this weekend! - but also because our unit of study this month is the fine state of Michigan. Among other things, we have been talking about and learning the official symbols of our state. Tomorrow we are making some great apple blossoms (our state flower!) to decorate our classroom. And I uploaded a couple Michigan symbol activities we've been working on in centers/work boxes as freebies on my TPT store. They are:

Click the links to snag the freebies for yourself!

Also (unrelated to Michigan), those great number birthday candles I got at the Lansing Target? I was able to put together the activity we planned for it...Picked up some floral foam at Michael's this afternoon and this is the result:
Most of my kids are working on either recognizing numerals, ordering them, or counting...or all of those...so this is going to get some major use at work box time! (The counting blocks are from the Dollar Tree a while back.)

6 comments:

  1. Uh oh, is it "Michigan" month? Or week? Or whatever it is? I always miss it. How sad is that????

    Thanks for reminding me - and your counting cards are cute!!!!

    Love what you did with the candles!!!!

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there a Michigan week?! Our curriculum unit for February is a very generic "state history" theme, so that's why we're focusing on Michigan :)

      Kara

      Delete
  2. Just found your blog. It's great! I'm your newest follower.

    Glitter and Glue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your idea of teaching the kids about their state! I have to do a five day unit on something (anything!) and this would be a good idea for me. Today, for one reason or another, the teacher asked the class what state we live in, and they all said either, "The UNITED states," or the name of their town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angel - A lot of my kids answered with either The United States or their city when asked that question, too, before we started this unit. Now they all know their state!

      Kara

      Delete
  4. I am your 49th and newest follower. Thanks for coming to visit me and entering Just Teaching...Kinder's giveaway! Good luck to you.
    Shawna

    The Picture Book Teacher's Edition

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover