Friday, February 24, 2012

Thinking Spring! and Kids Say...

I really could have used a snow day today, but unlike many of my Michigan friends, I was teaching today. The district I teach in is notorious for never closing, and even though Every. Single. Other. district in the area closed because of the winter storm we had, we stayed open.

Since my school services students from every district in the county, when we have a day where most districts are closed we have very few students (home districts bus their own students, so the kids from outside districts that have snow days don't have transportation). I had a grand total of two students today. It makes for a very looooong day. I have grand plans to get so much done, but it never seems to work out that way. And the poor kids who do show up get so much one-on-one work time that they are exhausted by lunchtime.

So, instead of having a snow day, we thought spring in my room! Earlier in the week, we made apple blossoms during fine motor time (apple blossoms are the Michigan state flower). Today, I had the two kiddos help paint a tree trunk/branches, and now we have a beautiful tree full of apple blossoms growing in our room!
 The closeup picture got a little blurry so it's hard to see details (used my crappy classroom camera) but I was so proud of my kiddos' work on their cutting skills to make the flowers! They did such a great job!

I'm also linking up with the Kids Say the Darndest Things linky party over at Kindergarten Lifestyle. This one from one of my guys last year had me and my classroom staff rolling on the floor during standardized testing - it's sometimes so easy to tell what music parents listen to at home! But I admit, Vanilla Ice is one of the last artists I'd have expected to hear in my classroom!
If you haven't already, link up to this party...it's so fun reading all the crazy things your students say!

4 comments:

  1. Ice, Ice Baby....HA!!!!!!

    My hubby was mighty frustrated that he didn't get his snow day either.

    Happy Friday though!!!!

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't feel bad, I had school today too, uggghh.

    I had 8 kiddos and we didn't have any snow days around us! Im just hanging in my hotel room in GR, I should've had you swing over and eat dinner with me!!!


    Rachel
    Ms. Rachel’s Room

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time you're in GR, let me know and we'll hang out!

      Kara

      Delete
  3. I love reading your stories and the ideas you share on your blog! I gave you the One Lovely Blog Award, stop by my blog and check it out:)

    We are ALL Special!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover