Sunday, April 22, 2012

Henry and Mudge, and Facebook!

Sunday night...time to get back to the 'real world' after a great weekend of friends visiting from out of town!

I'm looking towards summer already...our program goes through the summer, but we have a shortened schedule of just three days per week. Since our curriculum (ULS) has the same unit every summer, my kids have done the unit activities before and I'm looking for different things to try out this summer. I've decided to do...dun dun dun...chapter books! with my higher reading group! I'm going to start with the first book in the classic "Henry and Mudge" series by Cynthia Rylant.

I'm super-duper excited to have my higher kiddos tackle chapter books instead of picture books! They're going to be excited, too. Because of their severe cognitive impairments they have never encountered chapter books in school before, but I think they are ready. Starting with "Henry and Mudge" is going to be a good intro and a definite chance to be successful, and from there I'll be able to see if they're ready for some longer/more involved stories.

(I first got the idea to tackle chapter books with my kids from this post at Eat. Pray. Teach, which I think is fantastic!)

We will be going chapter to chapter, and I created a packet of vocabulary, comprehension and reader's response activities for each chapter of The First Book and it's on my TPT if you'd like to snag it to use yourself:
(Click here to snag.)
And I will note that while these are the exact activities we're going to be using, it's not the exact format I'm using with my kiddos. They are all non-readers and non-writers ("highest reading group" refers to their comprehension/vocab skills, not mechanics) so I will be modifying to use a lot of picture support - but since I'm using Boardmaker images, I can't share those.

Also, I finally figured out how to make a "page" on Facebook, so you can now follow Spedventures on good ol' FB. My page is here @ Spedventures. Let me know, also, if any of you have Facebook pages and I'd love to "like" you. That new timeline is a bit confusing, but I'm working on it!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting your page up and running. I am your first fan. :)
    Life with Mrs. L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mrs. L! I 'liked' your FB page and am now following your blog, too :)

      Kara

      Delete
  2. Just found your blog! I am your newest follower:) Stop by and visit me...

    learnplayandhavefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover