Sunday, April 29, 2012

Olympic fever

Since our curriculum always has the same unit for summer each year, I was surprised when I logged on the other day to see an announcement that this year's summer unit would be featuring the 2012 Summer Olympics! Cue me beginning to completely change my plans for this summer...Olympics it is! So if anyone comes across some great Olympic-themed materials, or clip art, or anything, point me in that direction! I haven't started searching hard-core yet, but I will be. I also think we're going to be doing our own classroom Olympics, of sorts. Should be fun!

I spent today with my mom, who is a former preschool teacher...I went with her to the Dollar Tree, and...would you know it, that one little store made her wish she was still teaching! Her words, not mine. She still works with preschool teachers, and filled her cart with some goodies for a gardening unit her teachers are currently working on!

I didn't come away empty-handed myself, of course...
Not Olympic related, but check this out! Reduce, Reuse, Recycle posters (our May unit is recycling) and some awesome card games - Matching (Memory), Go Fish, and Old Maid from the Animal Planet! We love card games, and even if we weren't to use these as games, the animal photos are really great quality, and all have the animal names printed on them, too.

Earlier in the week, I was at Target for the first time in a couple months, and really scored at the Dollar Spot, this time at least some of it definitely Olympic-related:
 Gold medals! And a horseshoe set ($2.50 at the Dollar Spot) and kites. Both will be used as events in our classroom Olympics.
Alphabet stickers (in the scrapbook aisle for $0.99), adorable metal buckets for sorting activities (going to use them first for a metal-plastic-paper sorting activity during our recycling unit), flash cards of traffic signs, and a bag of 50 spring-themed mini erasers for sorting/patterning/categorizing/all that great stuff mini erasers are good for!

Happy Sunday, everyone...I really need to get to bed now. Full week ahead. Tomorrow we will be going to observe our "adopted" tree for the final time in April. Last week was the first time it had its first leaves! The kids were sure excited about that.

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog and became your newest follower. Looks like I need to hit up Target this week!
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover