Monday, June 25, 2012

Monday Made It and a nomination!

This is my first time linking up with Tara's Monday Made It! I am not "crafty" and never have been, and I probably would have just kept sitting this linky out...but seeing all the great things you all have been creating over the past three Monday Made Its has been inspiring and I decided to give it a go.

Of course I had to have one of those fabulous teacher toolboxes everyone has been making, so that was my project this week:
I snagged everyone's favorite blue beast (they only had blue) at Lowe's, and some Valspar spray paint for plastic. In white. Next time when the bottle says "no primer needed" I won't believe them. This baby took like seventeen coats to cover (maybe I should have chosen a darker color - but I love the bright, clean look of the white, so I'm not complaining!).

(Halfway through painting.) This project had the bonus of finally getting me to clean out my garage! (It had been a while, people.) I live in a condo and don't have a yard where I could spray paint outdoors, so I had to use my garage. One of my neighbors actually came over to make sure I wasn't moving out because the entire contents of my garage were out on the driveway as I swept it out. Teacher stuff organized? Garage organized? Check and check. Bonus!

The finished product! Don't look too closely at my paint job - it's nowhere near perfect; I got impatient when it could have probably used a couple more coats, and there are a few places where I got too close and there were drips. But I absolutely love how it turned out! I typed up my own labels using the dimensions Rebecca gave on Create Teach Share and used two-sided tape to affix them to the drawers. I can't wait to bring this to my classroom - my staff and I are always searching for "stuff" and now it all has a home!

Go link up with this week's Monday Made It - I'm heading out soon to run errands, and I'll definitely be picking up some stuff I need to make what I'll link up with next time :)

Also, I received an email last night that my blog has been nominated in the 2012 Fascination Awards in the special education category! Color me surprised - and honored! The post that got me the nomination was Field Trip Heartbreak - I'm glad that a negative experience for me and my students got people thinking. So, when voting opens up on July 2, remember my little ol' blog here, yeah?
Check this out

8 comments:

  1. I am so excited you linked up:) I feel like I'm not super crafty either but that doesn't stop me!!! Your teacher toolbox turned out great!! Thanks for linking up and please come back:)))

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually got a toolbox too - that's my next Monday Made It!! I love the way yours turned out.. it looks great :]

    PS. I love your signature - elephants are my FAVORITE animal!

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job! And cute elephant by your name. I just found you and became a new follower!
    ann
    The Caffeinated Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the nomination! Love how your toolbox turned out. I have one waiting at home for me to work on! Can't wait to start it after seeing so many awesome ones.

    Amanda
    Reaching for the TOP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! Love the blue and green.
    ~April Walker
    The Idea Backpack
    Ideabackpack@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm planning on making one of those... but I'm kinda waiting until I actually have a classroom, so I don't end up storing it in my house forever and ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out so cute and you made it look so easy!!! I am definitely inspired. hope I can join the next couple monday made it!!

    Challenges Make Life Interesting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I just discovered your blog by checking out the othe nominated blogs on the Fascination Awards. I love it! I am a new follower and love seeing another special Ed teacher in the blogging world.

    Caitlin
    Learningahoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover