Thursday, June 28, 2012

Oh Say Can You See...

Since we have the week of the 4th of July off of school every summer (I am now on my longest "summer break" - no more school until the 10th of July!), we celebrated Independence Day today in our room:

-We played Kelly and Kim's adorable Patriotic Cube Game in math stations.

-We skipped our usual free/choice time in favor of pulling up a YouTube video of last year's Washington, DC fireworks display and watched it through the projector on our wall. Most of my students have never and will never go in person to see a fireworks show - some for accessibility reasons, some because of sensory or behavior issues, some because of seizures that could be triggered by the bright lights, flashes, noise, etc. - so it was a real treat!

-And then we made our own fireworks:
This was a really simple project that turned out really cool: drop a dab of paint on the paper, then drag something like a toothpick or fork (we used the plastic sporks we get from the school cafeteria) through the paint, drawing the paint out in spikes all around the dab. We added glitter to get a better fireworks effect! These photos don't show the color well, for some reason. In person, they are really bright!

-And after school, a coworker and I celebrated our "summer break" by treating ourselves to pedicures!
I don't usually go for pink, but I really like how my toes are now bright and cheerful for summertime!

Happy early Fourth (and/or Canada Day), everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Love the toes.....love 'em! I went for blue today. Can you believe it? BLUE!?!?!

    Happy summer to you!

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Love your blog!

    2. Love pedicures!!! I gave myself one today because I messed up my last one at the lake over the weekend.

    3. Enjoy your time!

    Every New Beginning

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fireworks pictures! Things never look as bright online. One thing I do sometimes is photo edit them and adjust the contrast and saturation. Anyway it sounds like you gave the kids an awesome Fourth Of July celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that I found your blog. I am looking forward to following you. I would love for you to stop by my blog sometime too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover