Monday, July 2, 2012
Monday Made It!
For this week's Monday Made It, I made what I'm calling the "Me Me Me" jar. Let me explain...My kiddos take turns choosing from class name cards who will have turns to do certain activities/jobs during our morning circle time, such as adding the new number/date to our calendar, checking the weather, etc. I have always had all the kids' names printed on cardstock flash cards and had one student choose in a "pick a card, any card" way, as it was random and the best way to cut down on complaining when someone wasn't chosen.
...And then my kids figured out how to cheat the system...It was getting kind of uncanny how often a student would pick his or her own name, every time...I started realizing some of them could actually read through the cardstock and find their own names! I'm actually pretty impressed with this feat. My kids all have moderate to severe cognitive impairments, so reading (or at least recognizing) backwards and through cardstock is something I never imagined they could do. But impressive or not, it kind of kills the randomness I'm trying to achieve with the whole "pick a card" thing, and was beginning to cause at least minor issues with complaining and major stalling during this time ("um...well...this one...no, that one..." as the student tries to eyeball the faint letters showing through the backs of the flashcards).
I was inspired for a solution by all the great Pringles can ruler holders (like this one, for example) people have been making all over Pinterest and Monday Made It. I don't use a lot of rulers in my class, but...paint stirrers! I figured these would be a perfect solution to my name card dilemma. No kid can see through a wooden paint stirrer! (And if they can, I've got bigger problems than choosing a name at circle time!)
I painted the paint stirrers (free @ the paint counter at Lowe's) front and back with some paint I had leftover from painting my bedroom this past winter. (That was far too many uses of the word 'paint' in one sentence! Also, the color is Valspar's Tidal Teal, for those who may wonder.) It took two coats to get a nice coverage.
After they dried, I used Mod Podge to affix students' names to each one (I just wrote with Sharpie on scrapbook paper...kind of wish I'd printed them with a cute font, but oh well). Then Mod Podged the whole thing for a nice glossy finish.
Okay, Pringles cans. I am actually kind of (read: really, really, really) addicted to Pringles, but am trying to lose some weight, so I haven't bought any in quite some time. (Let me tell you...all your Pringles projects are hard on the willpower!) I used an empty Panko breadcrumbs container instead, because that's what I had on hand. Panko container + Mod Podge + scrapbook paper + more Mod Podge = cheat-proof name selection!
I call it the Me Me Me jar because it's crazy how many times I have to tell my students I will take their name out of the running if they yell "me, me, me!" at the person who's choosing ;)
Also, one last thing - I'd love it if you voted for my blog in the Fascination Awards contest - click the image below, scroll down a bit until you get to the special education blog category, and follow the instructions to vote! It's also a great way to discover some new-to-you sped blogs who are also in the running!