Monday, July 2, 2012

Monday Made It!


For this week's Monday Made It, I made what I'm calling the "Me Me Me" jar. Let me explain...My kiddos take turns choosing from class name cards who will have turns to do certain activities/jobs during our morning circle time, such as adding the new number/date to our calendar, checking the weather, etc. I have always had all the kids' names printed on cardstock flash cards and had one student choose in a "pick a card, any card" way, as it was random and the best way to cut down on complaining when someone wasn't chosen.

...And then my kids figured out how to cheat the system...It was getting kind of uncanny how often a student would pick his or her own name, every time...I started realizing some of them could actually read through the cardstock and find their own names! I'm actually pretty impressed with this feat. My kids all have moderate to severe cognitive impairments, so reading (or at least recognizing) backwards and through cardstock is something I never imagined they could do. But impressive or not, it kind of kills the randomness I'm trying to achieve with the whole "pick a card" thing, and was beginning to cause at least minor issues with complaining and major stalling during this time ("um...well...this one...no, that one..." as the student tries to eyeball the faint letters showing through the backs of the flashcards).

I was inspired for a solution by all the great Pringles can ruler holders (like this one, for example) people have been making all over Pinterest and Monday Made It. I don't use a lot of rulers in my class, but...paint stirrers! I figured these would be a perfect solution to my name card dilemma. No kid can see through a wooden paint stirrer! (And if they can, I've got bigger problems than choosing a name at circle time!)

I painted the paint stirrers (free @ the paint counter at Lowe's) front and back with some paint I had leftover from painting my bedroom this past winter. (That was far too many uses of the word 'paint' in one sentence! Also, the color is Valspar's Tidal Teal, for those who may wonder.) It took two coats to get a nice coverage.

After they dried, I used Mod Podge to affix students' names to each one (I just wrote with Sharpie on scrapbook paper...kind of wish I'd printed them with a cute font, but oh well). Then Mod Podged the whole thing for a nice glossy finish.

Okay, Pringles cans. I am actually kind of (read: really, really, really) addicted to Pringles, but am trying to lose some weight, so I haven't bought any in quite some time. (Let me tell you...all your Pringles projects are hard on the willpower!) I used an empty Panko breadcrumbs container instead, because that's what I had on hand. Panko container + Mod Podge + scrapbook paper + more Mod Podge = cheat-proof name selection!

I call it the Me Me Me jar because it's crazy how many times I have to tell my students I will take their name out of the running if they yell "me, me, me!" at the person who's choosing ;)

Also, one last thing - I'd love it if you voted for my blog in the Fascination Awards contest - click the image below, scroll down a bit until you get to the special education blog category, and follow the instructions to vote! It's also a great way to discover some new-to-you sped blogs who are also in the running!

Fascination Awards by Accelerated-Degree.com

14 comments:

  1. Love your me,me,me jar and love the name too!!! I think you need to make a cute label that says that:)) Super idea! Thanks for linking up:)))

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll definitely have to make a label :) Good idea!

      Kara

      Delete
  2. I love that color! This is a great idea...I may be doing this soon! Also I LOVE your new blog design!!

    -Becky
    Lesson plans & Lattes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do a simpler version for my class. I use the large popsicle sticks with numbers so I can use them year after year. I call it the "Fair Cup" since it's a fair way of picking a student. The kids love it. For the kid who always gets mad, I tell him. "Don't get mad at me, get mad at the fair cup." This has been wonderful for my class! I may need to spruce mine up so it's as cute as yours!

    LifeInSpecialEducation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love calling it the "Fair Cup!" Great name! I used popsicle sticks before the flash cards, but even the large sticks were hard for some of my students to grasp.

      Kara

      Delete
  4. Great idea! Headed over the to the Most Fascinating Blog link now. :) I always love reading yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use popsicle sticks in class, but yours are so much prettier!

    Emily
    I Love My Classroom
    www.ilovemyclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out cute! I went and voted for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the class where I student taught, the teacher had a system just like that. Hers was not nearly as cute as yours... it was just a plastic cup, and craft sticks with kids' names printed on the ends in marker... but basically the same idea. It worked VERY well. We used those sticks for everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used craft sticks before the flash cards...but they were hard for some of my students to grasp. Hopefully these will work! :)

      Kara

      Delete
  8. You did a great job! You are making me want to fancy up my name sticks! :)

    Delighted in Second
    Hope you will join my $20 TPT gift certificate giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the fanciest name picking jar at have seen. I love it. I did a modge lodge project for Monday Make It this week. I covered my clipboards. I am a new follower.
    Pamela
    First Class Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it amazing what paint and cute paper can do?!?!?! I am your newest follower.

    Erica
    Sprinkles to Kindergarten
    erica_crowder0612@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover