Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Monday Made It...on a Tuesday (w/ a freebie)

I'm a day late for Monday Made It, but, well...this past week has been crazy-busy, and not to mention I'm kind of in a mid-summer slump...The summer is going by too fast and too slowly at the same time. My students are dragging. The heat is killing us. We have not had rain in over a month (my trees in my back yard are dying...it looks like the end of fall instead of the middle of July) and it's been so hot it feels more like Arizona than Michigan (not that I've ever been to Arizona. I just hear it's crazy-hot!). It is hot in homes, so the kids are in general not sleeping well. The bus ride to school is uncomfortably hot for them. We are not allowed to take the kids outside if the heat index gets past a certain point, which most days we have reached as early as 9:30am, so we are stuck inside all day, every day. They want so badly to go outside for recess, because it looks lovely and sunny. I hate having to tell them 'no' every day!

Okay, enough complaining...it could definitely be worse! I'm so thankful we have air conditioning in our school (and it even works most of the time!).

For this week's Monday Made It, I am still working on mostly creating-and-laminating practical stuff for my classroom next year. As I said in my previous post, my classroom theme next year is going to be pirates. And since positional words are something my kiddos need a lot of practice with (not to mention it's always heavily featured on our state special ed standardized test, the MI-Access), I decided to combine the two and create a pirate-themed interactive book to work on positional words and phrases. The adorable graphics are from KPM Doodles:
Students have to read the page and place the picture icon in the correct position on the page. I put 3 Velcro dots on each page as possible positional options, and added red Sharpie to each to make the options more visible to my kiddos.

If you want the book, I put it on my TPT as a freebie! Go ahead and snag it here :)

I also did a new-to-me home Made It this week...I made pesto for the first time!

Here is some gorgeous basil from the Farmer's Market - it smells even more incredible than it looks! The farmers are hurting because of this weather in a major way, so I'm always happy to support our local farmers who do have enough crops to sell at the market!
And here is my pesto:
It is gorgeous and fragrant and delicious! I could eat it straight out of the jar, but I was good and put it on pasta with some veggies instead.

Want the recipe? Sure. I got the recipe from my brother, who says he got it from the NPR show The Splendid Table:

Basil Pesto
-1 large clove garlic
-1 pinch salt
-2/3 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves
-2 tablespoons pine nuts
-1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
In a food processor or blender, puree the garlic and salt. Gradually add the basil and pine nuts and chop into a rough paste. Add the cheese and oil and blend briefly into desired consistency.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!

7 comments:

  1. Your pesto looks delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pesto! It is yummy on top of fresh tomatoes and mozzarella. =)

    I love interactive books too! I have a slight obsession with velcro. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your position book. I always forget about velcro. I have been working on creating games for Math standards for my upcoming year and really struggled with position. If I raise my hand above my head, where is above on a picture to a kid who is just learning the lingo? I saw your book and thought...oh, yeah, I am overthinking. Thank you for the freebie!
    BTW it is HOT here too and even my 10month old is having outdoor withdraw. Sorry its hot for your summer program.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the position book. Thanks for the recipe I want to try it right away.

    Jill
    Bubbalulu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! That pesto looks great!!!! I'm working on the printing and cutting and laminating too!!! Your pirate activity looks fun!!! Thanks for linking up:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  7. That positional book is going to be made this year for my kiddos. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover