Thursday, August 23, 2012

Classroom Workday 2

Since Monday, I haven't been able to get back into my classroom until today. I spent most of the day there, laminating (panic when the school laminator stopped working! thankfully it is just a bit tempermental so I turned it off and let it cool down and it worked again), cutting, bulletin-boarding, and other prep things. As promised, here are some photos of my newly-revamped small group work area:

I am lucky to have two side rooms off of my main room! This is one side room, which will be used for our reading groups. Please excuse the blue mat and beanbag chairs and pillows stacked in the corner...I don't know where else to put our sensory/stretching/down time area, so it's staying here for now. (And yes, that's a small board book under one of the table legs. Both round group tables in my room wobble!)

Bulletin board for my higher reading group's chapter book studies, with my story elements posters above.

Word wall on the white board, with student and staff names already added.

Supplies table, with a bin for reading workbooks, trays which will hold pencils/highlighters, scissors and glue sticks (for working in reading workbooks), table pocket chart with our first five Fry's sight words - they will go on the word wall after the first week and the next five words will go in the pocket chart. And our large US map on the wall behind it, because there's not a better place for it elsewhere, and this room needed something on the wall, anyway.

On the shelves of the supply table, hidden by the awesome skull and crossbones tablecloth from Target: our board and card games storage.

I'm pleased with how it's looking so far. I think it looks a little stark; I might bring in a floor lamp I no longer use at home (the florescent lights are so glaring), and perhaps more decor for the walls, but overall I like it, and it's going to be much better than having both groups (reading and math) working out in the main room at the same time.

And for comparison's sake, here is a "before" picture from over the winter:
We got rid of the toys this winter, since our kids are too old for them and they didn't play with them anymore, anyway. This room was a "dead" room and barely used...I'm excited we will be utilizing our space so much better now!

I'm loving sneaking peeks at all your classrooms, too! So much fun. I think pictures of the rest of my classroom will have to wait until the end of next week, since that's when my classroom staff will be back, and they'll be helping me get things all situated. This room and the library were my big projects I wanted to get done before they arrive back.

5 comments:

  1. Ahh wobbly tables are the worst! Looks great :)

    - Sasha
    The Autism Helper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at all that space!! Love your pirate tablecloth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good :) Love the pirate tablecloth too!! Hope you have a great start to the school year!

    Amy
    The Resource(ful) Room

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover