Thursday, August 2, 2012

encouragement, Olympics, and awards

I finally have just 6 more school days left to my school year/summer school! I admit (though I'm not proud of it) I am running mostly on "survival mode" at this point - between dealing with some severe behavior issues @ school, attempting to prepare as much as possible for next year while still teaching this one, and then a worrisome/sad ongoing/impending crisis in my family...I am exhausted, stressed, and ready to be done! I have not felt like a very good teacher recently.

...But isn't it wonderful when encouragement comes just when you need it the most? This week, a sweet parent of one of my students put her usual note in her son's backpack, detailing how his night had been, seizures he'd had, and the medication he'd gotten (so helpful to know!!). And at the end of the note she added:
"J---- is always so excited to go to school. He can't wait for the bus to get here in the morning!"

It was something so simple, but unexpected, and certainly not necessary...but it made all the difference in my day! Such an encouragement!

At school, we are trucking along in our Olympics unit. I think I mentioned before my class has been put in charge of planning our whole-school mock Olympic Games, slated for the last day of summer school. We have had the kids vote on which activities they want to plan for the rest of the school (an obstacle course aka "steeplechase," a softball throw aka "shot put," a bowling tournament, and more). We have planned an Opening Ceremonies parade and a Closing Ceremonies award ceremony complete with a dance, with our principal MCing. We had each classroom draw out of a hat which Olympic country they will represent and are encouraging classrooms to create flags and other fun things to represent "their" country.

Since we are planning and organizing everything, we decided our classroom could skip drawing a name out of a hat, and felt we could take the liberty of assigning ourselves Team USA! We have had fun keeping track of how many medals our team has earned (in the actual Olympics) so far!
(Please excuse the blurry/yellowed cell phone picture, the torn butcher paper - I didn't realize the blue paper was at the end of its roll!, and the fact that our color printer was out of ink so I had to print today's medals on the black and white printer - I will fix them next week.) These are the medals of Team USA as of about noon today. Each day we count the number of gold, silver and bronze medals, add the total, and talk about more, less, and same. I think we're going to run out of room in the "gold" column!

Also, thank you to those of you who have given me blogging awards - most recently, Alicia @ Chalk Talk Speech Therapy and Christy @ Mrs. Christy's Leaping Loopers. You are encouraging, as well! I feel bad that I have not reciprocated by passing awards along - see the "survival mode" thing as to why - I'm feeling pretty good if I can manage to read all the blogs I follow and even comment on a couple lately - but know that you are appreciated quite a lot!!

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like fun- I'm glad you're about done... hopefully you get to enjoy a few weeks before heading back next month!

    I am right there with ya on ongoing/impending crisises as I've just had one of my own. It's tough... but keep your chin up and know that your bloggy pals love ya!

    :)
    Christina
    Mrs. Bainbridge's Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christina - I'm definitely looking forward to our 1 1/2 weeks off before going back for PD days!

      I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you as you deal with your own crises...

      Kara

      Delete
  2. Kara - I just want to say that you are a GREAT teacher and everyone feels that way sometimes. I'm sure your "survival mode" is a lot better than some other teachers on a normal day for them. You can do it and you deserve your break coming home! Hopefully it will be just what you need to get rested up and prepared for another school year. I love your idea of tracking the medals that the USA has received! Great way to stay with current events and keep your students in the "know" :)

    Brie @ Breezy Pink Daisies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Brie, for such a sweet comment :)

      Kara

      Delete
  3. Isn't it funny how those always seem to come right at the perfect time?!?! Why that day did she decide to write that on the form, so crazy!! So nice to get those little reminders! Hang in there, we all have those days...sometimes long sets of days where we feel like that and you just need to remember it's ok and that you do have a lot on your plate! Remember to take some time to relax and unwind! Hang in there!
    Taylor
    BakingCraftingTeaching Oh My!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is crazy...in a good way! :) Thank you, Taylor.

      Kara

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover