Sunday, August 12, 2012

Teacher Clothes!

...and no, I'm NOT talking about this!

I'm taking a break from shopping on TPT (everyone having fun with the sale?) to link up with From Blood To Books' linky about teacher fashion.

I've never considered myself all that fashionable, and my school allows us to dress very casually - we can wear jeans everyday if we want to - but in the past couple years I have tried to dress a bit more "teachery" and I've found it does help my mental outlook when I'm dressing for school and I feel good about what I'm wearing! I usually wear dress pants (never a skirt - I'm on the floor and lifting kids too often for that) and a nice blouse or sweater Monday through Thursday. Fridays I wear jeans and one of our school logo shirts.

Here are the questions from the linky:

1. Tell me your favorite store(s) that you like to get your "teacher's fashion".


Maurices, Old Navy and New York & Company are my three favorite stores. I get my dress pants from NY&Co with my teacher discount and get other staples at Maurice's (they have great sales!) and ON. I never buy anything full price...My work clothes are too easy to snag on wheelchairs or other equipment, or too easily get drool or other *ahem* bodily fluids on them, that I can't justify spending too much money, even though I do try to look nice. I also find things at Kohl's and JC Penney.

2. What are some of your favorite accessories?
I don't really accessorize much at all! Maybe it comes from not being a morning person...adding that "something extra" to the outfit just takes too much thought in the morning, haha. I feel good if I manage to change my earrings or add a necklace before I'm out the door!

3. What type of shoes do you teach in? (i.e. heels, flats, wedges, etc.)
I don't understand how anyone can teach in heels, though more power to you if you can! I go for comfort above all else in my shoes. I have a black and a brown pair of flats, a black and a brown pair of sandals (we cannot wear flip flops - defined as shoes that have the strap that goes between the toes - but other sandals are okay), and a black and a brown pair of boots for winter. (Do we sense a color theme? It's just easier that way!) My boots do have (thick) heels but otherwise it's all about the flats. On my self-prescribed casual Fridays, I usually wear my cute green Merrell sneakers.

My secret super-great place to get shoes is...
That's right! If you have never looked at the shoe section at TJ Maxx, I'd encourage you to do so! They have good quality, name-brand shoes for awesome prices! I have a few pairs of Naturalizers (soooo comfy and cute - and expensive if you buy them at department stores!) and even the pair of Merrell's are from there, and I don't pay over $30 for a pair.

4. Do you have a "go-to" item in your closet? (i.e. sweater you wear weekly, shoes you wear daily, etc.)
Not a specific item, but I do wear a Scoop Neck Tank from Maurice's under almost everything. I have them in many colors! Love those tanks. And the 7th Avenue Pant from New York & Co is my go-to dress pant.

5. Have you ever had a fashion "uh-oh" at school? (i.e. heel broke, button popped off of blouse)
Once, a student projectile vomited on me, first thing in the morning. I didn't have a change of clothes at school, and I live 30 minutes from school so couldn't go home to change, so I taught the rest of the day in a pair of scrub pants from the nursing office and the old college t-shirt I use as a coverup when it's swimming day at school. Needless to say, I now keep a change of "real" clothes at school!

3 comments:

  1. I love Maurices but we don't have one by me. I used to shop there all the time when I was in college. I also agree with sales on everything because you can get everything and anything on them.
    Kate
    http://funinecse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for linking up!! I love the denim dresses that you referenced at the top. Its so funny because when I was in school... that is what the teachers wore... along with the vests for every holiday. My how times have changed.

    Jess
    From Blood to Books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love back to school clothes shopping! Unfortunately, I didn't find anything today after 4 stores, I'm thinking about online with LL Bean or Land's End! I'm your newest follower, I found you through Mrs. H's Resource Room blog.

    Mary
    Teaching Special Kids

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover