Monday, September 24, 2012

Fall Math Centers (+ a freebie)

After an abnormally hot summer, I am definitely enjoying the cooler weather, so fall is a welcome change this year! So, I put out a couple new math centers for counting today, with a fall theme.

First, an activity center we completed today:
I picked up these orange, green, brown and red foam leaf stickers at the Dollar Tree over the weekend.
The kids took turn spinning the spinner for each color of leaf to determine how many (1, 2 or 3) of each color they could add to their tree...
...and added (or counted all, depending on ability) to find the total number of leaves.

And an ongoing fall center/independent work activity:
I picked up these great fall pasta shapes at World Market over the weekend...
...and made and laminated these fall-themed counting mats.

I uploaded the counting mats for free on my TPT store. Included are recording sheets with ten frames for students to show understanding...I laminated the ten frame pages (not pictured) so my kids will use dry erase markers to fill them in. Click the image to get the freebie:

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for these! What a great idea with the stickers & the tree activity! Perfect :)

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute!! I teach in Lansing, so I really liked your art prize post too! Do you have a copy of the tree craft (the tree with the info?) I'd LOVE one!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute!! I teach in Lansing, so I really liked your art prize post too! Do you have a copy of the tree craft (the tree with the info?) I'd LOVE one!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi to another Michigan teacher! :) I'm sorry I don't have a copy of the tree activity - the tree was in an old paper file I had (you could use any tree clip art - http://www.clker.com/ is a good resource and actually might be where I had gotten the tree originally), and I just quick typed up the "my tree has" papers before we did the activity and didn't save a copy.

      Kara

      Delete
  4. Love it! Thanks for sharing. looking forward to working in some of your great ideas into my lesson plans for next year for my resource class!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover