Wednesday, September 5, 2012

First day name activity/class book

Here's a little activity we did on the first day of school - it's a Pinterest-inspired activity, of course. Here is the original pin:
The kids get the letters of their name, cut apart, and have to put them in the correct order and then count the letters.

Here is our version (yes, you get to see my page so I don't post kid pics and names on this blog - please excuse my red, shiny face - it has been SO hot and humid in our classroom this week!):
This was an easy, fun activity to ease us back into the first day of school. I took the pages home tonight to laminate and bind. My kids LOVE class-made books, especially ones with their pictures in them, of course. And yes, staff always have to make their own pages for our class books - even though my classroom staff always moan and groan when I whip out the camera and start snapping their photos! If we don't include staff, the kids complain!

For a fun last page, I added all the letters together for our grand total. For the cover, I used Wordle to make a word cloud of all of our names. I think this book is going to be a popular one in our classroom library!

Finally, don't forget about my 200 Followers Giveaway - enter for a chance to win a bunch of fabulous prizes from some amazing fellow teacher-bloggers :)

3 comments:

  1. I love it Kara! What a great idea :) I'm sure the students will LOVE seeing their picture (and all of their classmates pictures) in the book they helped make! How fun! :)

    Brie @ Breezy Pink Daisies

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Kara! What is the font that you used for this book? Thanks so much for all your ideas. I am new to this position and am incredibly thankful to have come across your blog!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristin -

      I'm pretty sure I used the font HelloFirstie for the book. It's a great one! You can download it here: http://www.dafont.com/hellofirstie.font

      Kara

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover