Monday, September 17, 2012

THE pencil sharpener

I'm sure by now you all have heard about THE pencil sharpener...if you haven't, let me introduce you!
This is the gorgeous pencil sharpener from Classroom Friendly Supplies! On Friday, I came home to a package in my mailbox from Troy of Classroom Friendly Supplies. I knew this was coming...I couldn't wait to get my hands on this beauty!

(I was secretly hoping he'd send me the green one! Isn't it great?!)

Since it was the weekend, and I have like one lone pencil at my house and it's the mechanical type...I actually went out to buy a box of pencils, purely so I could try it out before Monday! When something like this is talked up so much in blog-land, you want to try it out right away!

There are video tutorials on YouTube on how to use this sharpener, but I purposefully didn't look them up before trying it out the first time. It was super-simple. Pinch and pull the holder mechanism, insert the pencil, and turn. Voila! It comes with a clamp but I found it was just as easy to hold the top of the sharpener with my other hand to keep it steady.

Check that out! That's a brand-new pencil after about 5 seconds (maybe less) of turning. This baby really is as quiet as you've heard - in fact, it was so quiet, I was thinking it would take ages to sharpen! Not so much. You get a great point in seconds, and it also "feels" and sounds different when the sharpening is finished, so you're sure when it's done.


Of course, I brought it to school today - I wanted to wait to review it until my students had tried it out. (I ended up forgetting my camera today so I didn't get photos of the kids using it.) Here are our findings:
-My students love that it is so quiet! I have several students with sensory issues and sensitivities, so this is key. Most do not like to use the noisy electric sharpeners.
-It's easy! It does not take a lot of "oomph" to turn the crank effectively, like a lot of other manual sharpeners do.
-Because it is manual, and does not require an outlet, it is more portable and therefore more accessible to my students in wheelchairs, etc. Sharpening a pencil on a wheelchair tray? Why not?!
-Even my students with fine motor impairments could operate the sharpener, albeit some with assistance.

Bottom line: we love it!

In checking the website, it seems they are all sold out at this time! Bummer! Definitely do bookmark the site, though - I'm sure they will have more available later on.




Disclaimer: I received this product for free for the purpose of reviewing it, and did not receive any other compensation for this review. This review is my own honest opinion of the product.

2 comments:

  1. I love that there is a 'famous' pencil sharpener! Only teachers, right?! I would have totally bought my own pencils too so I could try it out too :)

    - Sasha
    The Autism Helper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...only teachers, you're so right!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover