Saturday, September 15, 2012

Welcome to My Classroom!

Two weeks into the school year, my classroom is still a work in progress, but it's getting there! Still looking a little bare since we don't have the walls full of student work, etc.

I used PicMonkey to make these collages:
Clockwise: room from the doorway (large tables are "desks for our students in wheelchairs - and there is NOT that much empty floor space like that photo makes it look!), our student sign in station just inside the door, student group rotation board and hooks for bags and supplies, small group work table (for math groups and I also use this as my teacher table for our whole-group curriculum - "ULS" - lessons). The ever-present huge roll of laminating waiting to be cut out on the small group table!

Clockwise: our clip chart and ticket system display, our circle time/morning meeting board in one of our side rooms, part of our classroom job rotation and birthday display, and our vocabulary board and other supplies for circle time/morning meeting in the side room (yes, most of our Zoo Phonics alphabet has fallen down and the whole thing is going to be replaced with my American Sign Language alphabet, which is some of the laminating on the small group table ;)).

Other classroom pics I've posted previously are here:
-our reading group work area + word wall

Also 2 weeks into the school year, I have the first cold of the year. This one wasn't messing around - the sore throat and headache started yesterday...on the drive home. I hope all of you are managing to stay healthy still!

8 comments:

  1. Your room looks great! Can you tell me more about your sign in area? I see it looks like there are options for signing in? :)

    I too have been hit with the cold--only 4 days in to having students!! Ugh!

    Erin
    Creating & Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin - yes, my kids have 3 options for signing in: they can cut and paste their name, use letter stamps to stamp their name, or trace their name. I talk more about signing in here :)

      Hope you feel better soon!

      Kara

      Delete
  2. Your room looks awesome! I feel you on the cold - my allergies have been out of control and it's making it hard to keep up with my kiddos!

    - Sasha
    The Autism Helper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sasha! I hope you feel better - allergies have been crazy this year!

      Kara

      Delete
  3. I know this is from last year, but I am new to this disability area and am trying to set up my own classroom. I am trying to figure out how to set up my whole group/calendar/morning area since I have teeny tiny classroom. Do your kiddos sit on the floor/in chairs/in desks when they do the calendar? Thanks in advance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cassie - Have fun setting up your classroom! I am lucky in that I have a small side room off of my main classroom which is where we do morning group/calendar. My students sit in chairs (about half are in wheelchairs and the others have regular classroom chairs) in a semicircle in front of the bulletin board during morning group. I usually have one student assigned as the helper for that time (it's one of our classroom jobs rotated weekly) and he or she is the one who moves to the board to manipulate calendar, etc., moves around the circle to interact with the other students, etc...If I have everyone moving around it gets too busy and chaotic and there's not enough room! Hope that helps!

      Kara

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover