Saturday, October 6, 2012

Henry and Mudge and Currently!

My students are diving into their first-ever chapter book, Henry and Mudge. They are loving it and are doing really well! Yes, even kids with severe cognitive impairments can experience chapter books!

Here is some of how I have been modifying my Henry and Mudge Literature Packet for my students:

{I originally got the idea to try chapter books with my kids, and this basic format, from Eat Pray Teach.}

They each have their own reading workbook to work in. The simplest things make my kids excited!

We talked about what an author and an illustrator do, and a bit about the women behind Henry and Mudge.

Vocabulary words from chapter 1.

Characters, setting, and sequencing the events from chapter 1.

The images we use are from Boardmaker, so I can't share these files - but this is the basic format we are using and it is working well. We are also doing the comprehension questions from my pack on TPT, but just informally now as a part of the chapter discussions...I will use them more formally when we finish the book as an assessment.

And now...October's Currently! I can't believe it's time for this already...
-Yes, orange shoes! My brother and his wife are having an "orange and black" party at the end of the month - that's my kind of Halloween party, as I'm not a big costume person. I think some cute orange flats would be fun to wear with black pants and shirt and some orange jewelry :)
-I'm teaching Sunday School tomorrow and procrastinated on planning the lesson during the week, so it's crunch time today.
-I love this book and so do my students! So excited to see Melonheadz Illustrating's new graphics bundle, too :)

If you haven't already, go link up with Farely and share your fave October book...and remember her rule of 3!

8 comments:

  1. I like that book as well. We are doing scarecrows after fall break and I will definitely read that book for fun.
    Latoya
    Flying Into First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh - LOVE IT. I love that you are having your students work on chapter books! So age appropriate. Great accommodation!

    - Sasha
    The Autism Helper

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an orange and black outfit that I wear to death from October 1st- October 31st. Orange shoes would be so cute! I also love your book choice. It's in my October book rotation every year!
    ~Andi

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the book I chose too! I agree with you- Loving the fall weather!

    Mara and Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog through Farley's currently! Love that book! Can't wait to share it with my class. It is always a big hit! Happy Fall!

    Blessings,
    Brittany
    Keeping Up With First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these comprehension ideas! Might need to adapt for a special little guy I'm seeing!

    Jenna
    SpeechRoomNews

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have your adapted book posted somewhere? We are reading it and I would like to adapt it for a few of my students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah - I'm sorry, I don't have the workbook/adapted book pages available...as I said in this post, I used Boardmaker images and those are copyrighted so I can't share them. I have been thinking about re-doing my workbook pages to be available to sell, but haven't yet. If I ever do, I'll be sure to post about it!

      Kara

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover