Saturday, October 27, 2012

What we've been up to...

It's been a week since I blogged last...October has been quite a month for us. We have had 3 fun outings this month but have (unfortunately) had to spend much of the rest of our time at school completing state testing...especially since the state told us mid-month that we needed to have tests submitted a week earlier than we'd first been told! I know I said I'd talk about the supplemental materials we've used for our food chain unit, but to be honest we have not done much with the unit past our existing curriculum materials...we just plain have not had time.

To top it off, my classroom has been short staffed...one of my staff members had (planned) surgery, so she is out for a while...another had an emergency trip to the hospital due to a blood clot in her leg, so she has been out, too. We are always short on subs in our building, so we have had several days of not getting our needed sub or subs. AND I hurt my back in a major way last Sunday; visits to my chiropractor have helped a great deal but not enough for me to be 100% back to my usual lifting/bending/carrying abilities at school...CRAZY!!! I am ready for October to be over!

We have managed to squeeze in some fun fall things in between testing and staff shortages, though...
My lower math group took turns spinning a spinner to determine how many of each fall-colored leaves (found @ The Dollar Tree) should adorn the tree just inside our classroom door (and we added some fun "spider web" stuff for Halloween!). They graphed their results as they went.

Our three outings included the trip to Meijer to pick out our new fish, a visit to our sister school to kick off the new year and meet our new buddies, and a trip to a local orchard/farm!


We got to hold and pet bunnies...
Feed goats...



And go on a tractor/wagon ride through the fields and orchards! This was a surprise treat...we hadn't paid for a wagon ride (I didn't even know it was a possibility), but the wonderful gentleman who works at the farm asked when we arrived if we would like one...free of charge...and the wagon was fully accessible with a ramp and everything! The kids especially loved that it was extremely muddy so some of our teachers and friends got sprayed with mud as we drove down the farm roads! We still have mud on wheelchair wheels...I'm sure parents - and our custodians! - are just so happy about that!

Next week, we will be exploring (observing, measuring, describing, and eventually carving) pumpkins...

And very exciting news - we will finally be getting our classroom iPad on Tuesday!! We have been waiting a long time for this day!

Happy weekend, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Aww the pictures of your trip look so cute! How fun! Sorry your month has been so rough - hang in there!

    - Sasha
    The Autism Helper

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your math idea! I think I'll try that with my kiddos this week.
    Your trip looks like so much fun. My district has cancelled all CBI and trips due to funding. I miss community trips so much!
    Hope that the last few days of October are good to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trip looks like fun! I just found you through the Boo Linky Party. :)

    Sarah Eager

    The Eager Weekend
    The Eager Teacher
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Pinterest

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover