Monday, November 12, 2012

Teaching Tip Linky

I'm linking up with Miss Kindergarten's Teaching Tip Linky Party!

This is something I started this year with my class, and it's been great.
Yes, these are photo albums from the Dollar Tree. My students all have one in their desk! Inside I've put pages that are very simple ways to work on their various IEP goals and objectives. The sky's the limit with these!
One of my students has a goal of matching and sorting coins. So his album has pages like this. All staff have to do is say, point to the coin that is the same and he's practicing an IEP objective!

This is such an easy way to get objective practice in. I don't use the albums for official IEP goal progress reporting (but I could) - I use these purely for "practice." During our busy morning work time (while kids are arriving from buses and before breakfast) staff can take a few moments to flip through an album with a student and quickly do some goal work.


 This non-verbal student has goals for identifying shapes and colors. Staff can show her the album pages on the left and ask "which one is the circle (or square)?" and she touches the correct shape...On the right, the question is "which star is red (or blue)?"

One of the best parts of the albums is that they require no laminating, no setup in the classroom, and are so easy to switch out if an objective is achieved or a new IEP with new goals is written.

This student has a goal of identifying letters from sets of 4. "Point to the B." "Which one is G?" etc.

A more simple numeral identification goal - staff shows this verbal student only one album page at a time. "What number is this?" Flash card style.

On the first page of each album, I write simple notes (also easily changed out with new objectives) on how to use that particular student's album. Most of it is self-explanatory! So nice if we have a sub in the room, by the way. One of my staff members has been out for a couple weeks because of a surgery...we do not always have the same sub for her. And still, if one student is having a seizure and another is having a behavior meltdown (at the same time - not an uncommon occurrence in my room!), I can say to someone brand new in my room "take so-and-so and work in their album with them," and they're able to step in while my other staff and myself are unavailable/busy in crisis mode! My students know what their "albums" are and then the rest runs itself.

One more example...this student gets asked "which van is the smallest?" or "point to the medium-sized helicopter," etc.

Like I said, the sky's the limit with these albums!

Link up to share your own teaching tips here:

9 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea! I have resource room kids so our skills are a little higher, but I see this working just as well. I see an album and a dry erase marker attached as well so that math facts could be practiced.

    Love this!

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. It is a great idea that is easily accessible to them :) Thanks for sharing.

    Heidi
    My (Not So) Elementary Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for keeping up with goals! My mind is racing with all the possibilities for these little guys! Thanks!

    Mrs. Dixon
    Teaching Special Thinkers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! This would be so much quicker than my current ways of testing skills! A lot of the concepts you exampled are things my students are working on. These could even be set up for matching so that the top picture has 1 item, and the bottom one has maybe 2 choices and they have to identify the one that matches the top picture--I'm already thinking of ideas!! :)

    What a great tip to share! :)

    Erin
    Creating & Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever idea, thanks for sharing. i came across your blog from a comment you wrote about kwanzaa on another blog--that was my understanding of it too, from my own research and a friend of mine from Africa. Your blog looks like you have a lot of great ideas-i'm your newest follower-can't wait to learn more from you.

    The REAL Teachers of Orange County

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kara,
    What an awesome idea, I love it! I was just stopping by to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

    Shawna
    The Picture Book Teacher's Edition

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your great ideas:) I'm trying to become more efficient at goal assessment. It can be such a head ache some times.


    We are ALL Special!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover