Thursday, December 6, 2012

December Currently and a freebie

December already...I'm linking up with Farley's December Currently (better late than never, huh?), and also hoping I'll be blogging a bit more regularly this month!

Loving - I'm doing Fatmumslim's Photo a Day challenge this month, and I'm loving it! Taking a photo each day for the prompts is fun, and looking through others' photos is even more fun!

Thinking - My sister-in-law's brother is going to finish my basement for me this winter! I'm so excited, since it's going to become a space for lesson planning/creating/laminating/blogging...as well as working out. I still need to figure out how I want it to look and function.

RAK - I always think the Salvation Army bell ringers have such a cold job...They are often positioned in doorways/entrances of stores and they are essentially outside whenever a customer enters. Brrr....This weekend I will be doing a little Christmas shopping, and I'm planning on buying hot chocolates for those I see.

Now for the freebie...I picked up this holiday chess set at Walmart for 97 cents earlier this week. Even better than the Dollar Spot! (gasp)
(How it's considered a "chess game" is beyond me...it seems more like checkers to me...)

Anyway, so many things we can do with this...sorting by color, counting, patterning, use for partner game markers, use the included game board for one-to-one correspondence...For my higher math group, I made up a super-simple little "grab and add" activity - we'll put all the pieces in a bag, kids grab out a handful, sort by color, and add the red and green pieces to find the sum. If you got the same set from Walmart, or have some other random red and green manipulatives laying around and want to grab the sorting mat and recording sheet, I uploaded it to scribd here:
Walmart Chess Set

Super simple, little to no setup...Perfect for a quick 'filler' activity or center during our busy holiday season!

5 comments:

  1. I love your idea of taking hot chocolate to the Salvation Army workers!

    Tammi
    The Balanced Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to start working out again too!! I love your RAK- that's a great idea! We saw someone ringing the bell for the Salvation Army the other day and she was playing the harmonica. She was really good!! :)

    Rachel
    A-B-Seymour

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of Good information in your post, I favorited your blog post so I can visit again in the future, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute freebie!
    Everytime I join a gym, I only end up going for 2-3 months... so I've giving up on the idea! But I hope you can get more motivation than me! Working out feels good :)
    Sara
    Miss Elementary

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover