Friday, January 25, 2013

"Trashy" Snowmen

Happy Friday, everyone! I finally remembered to take photos of our "trashy" snowmen we made out of recycled materials!

We always decorate our hallway bulletin board as a class. The kids voted on green butcher paper as a background. I would have chosen something different (I campaigned for blue), but it wasn't my decision! I still need to get a title up there...we talked about cutting the words "Trashy Snowmen" out of newspaper, but we haven't had the chance to do that yet.

We made the bodies out of three coffee filters - which were admittedly the only part of the snowmen that weren't recycled (though they are recyclable) - I did not relish the thought of reusing old coffee filters, not to mention they'd be brown.

Hats - recycled cardboard (cereal boxes, etc) cut into hat shapes, covered with recycled aluminum foil.

Eyes - caps from milk containers we get with the kids' hot lunches. Nose - broken pencil stubs.

Arms - crumpled/twisted newspaper. Mittens - recycled cardboard (cereal boxes, etc) cut into mitten shapes, covered with torn magazine pages.

Snow - shredded paper (one favorite job in our classroom for students is running the paper shredder, so we always have tons of shredded paper...the kids had fun actually using it, instead of just bringing it out to the Paper Gator recycling dumpster).

6 comments:

  1. Love them! When I first saw the photo I thought the snowman body may have been made from recycled milk jugs... you could cut out circles from the sides of the gallon jugs. Just a thought for next time, if you want to make the entire project out of recyclables. May be stealing this idea for next week. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz - great idea for using milk jugs for the bodies! I didn't think of that!

      Delete
  2. So cute. What a fun project. And shredding is also a favorite job with my students :)

    Brie @ Breezy Special Ed

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this! I wish I could do crafts with my kiddos! We never get to have fun! SO SO creative - I bet they went nuts over shredding the paper! You're awesome!

    Gabrielle
    Teaching Special Thinkers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute idea! Loving your blog! I'm a new follower and a brand new special education teacher. Looking at your blog makes me so excited to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's what you get for being creative and resourceful! The students were able to make wonderful arts out of shredded papers. Anyhow, they must've been amazed with the shredder because it can produce slice papers effortlessly. They don't have to use a pair of scissors. It definitely saves them time and effort!

    Ruby Badcoe @ Williams Data Management

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover