Tuesday, September 3, 2013

a first day Currently!

It was kind of a rough first day of school for me. Transitioning to a new classroom was/is so very hard for my new kiddo - and by extension, all of the kiddos I've had before - who struggle to understand why their new classmate is so loud and disruptive all day when they have known the routine and rules and expectations of our room for several years already, and just want to get back into the swing of school! Lots of discussions about "he needs help to learn how we do things in our room," and "you can be a good example for him," etc. It took us about twice the time it usually takes to get anything accomplished...Not to mention I (still, at 10:30pm) have a pounding headache from the noise...

Bless my kiddo with severe behavior/anxiety issues, though. I told him early in the morning (when he was already getting tense and agitated by our new class member's noise/not listening/disruption) that the noise and not listening was bothering me, too, and he and I would have to help each other stay calm today. He really took that to heart! He has several self-calming techniques he uses - the most effective are deep breathing ("in through your nose, out through your mouth") and a kind of mantra he says quietly to himself ("calm...calm...calm..."). Several times today he specifically got my attention and then either did his deep breathing or said "calm...calm..." and I did them with him! It really helped - honestly. Those self-calming techniques we teach our kids aren't just for them! And I was just so pleased that my kiddo not only remembered his techniques, but thought of me and even recognized when I had had enough. What a sweetheart. I am going to pull him aside tomorrow morning and thank him for that (of course I thanked him today...but I certainly want to reinforce that behavior!).

Okay...but all you're here for is the Currently, isn't it? I missed August's, so I'm so happy to be back this month!
Listening - I've recently become rather addicted to watching HGTV. My favorites are actually "Room Crashers" or especially "Kitchen Crashers" - I'm strongly (but not so seriously...I'm realistic, after all) considering just hanging out all the time at Lowe's or Home Depot and waiting for them to come and offer to redo my kitchen for me!

Loving - I'm a huge fan of fall! The evenings have been cooler lately, and I love it! So does my puppy - he is much happier on our evening walks now!

Thinking - See above. Definitely starting new tomorrow. It's a new day! The first day is always rough -- right?!

Wanting - What teacher couldn't use more hours in the day?!

Needing - Again, see above. I'm really needing a new perspective on things as I go into work tomorrow. Praying for my new kiddo tonight!

Heart - For me, three things I'm going to attempt this month:
1. I had my basement finished over the winter. It's complete, except for the floors. I need to get carpet ordered and installed. This is essential for me, as my new sweetie (Desmond the rescue greyhound) is afraid of the current stairs to the basement. His weird center of gravity and his super long legs make him slide around too much on bare wood stairs and he freaks out. I can't carry a 75-pound dog up the stairs! He navigates the carpeted stairs to my second floor just fine, so all I need to do is carpet the basement, too. Then I could finally use the new basement teacher work area (so fantastic!) as I meant it to be used!
2. Unplug - it's my goal to have one day per week that I don't have the TV, computer, phone, etc. on at all at home. Talk about freedom!
3. New recipes - I love to cook, but I haven't done much of that lately. I'd love to discover - and actually cook - some great new recipes this month. If anyone has favorite recipes to share (vegetarian only - no meat, but dairy, eggs, etc just fine) I'd be so excited to try them out!

All right, this is a crazy-long post - thanks if you've made it this far - bedtime for this girl. Hope everyone's first days (if that was today - hi, Michigan friends!) went well! And link up with Farley's Currently! It's always my favorite linky!

6 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you! Know that you are not alone. We all have or have had that "special" student who takes longer than everyone else to get into the class routine! Stay strong and lean on us when you need support!
    -Jaime
    Bright Concepts 4 Teachers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jaime! I really appreciate the support. I hope the beginning of your year has gone well!

      Kara

      Delete
  2. I totally feel you! I feel like everything took so long last week to get through...all of my returning students were just staring at the new kids like "what's your problem? I want to get back to work!" haha. But, my class made so much improvement in just one week...I am feeling much more hopeful today than I was last Wednesday! Hang in there! Hailey from Autism Tank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Hailey! I'm so glad to hear your class has been improving so much! I hope that just keeps continuing for you! :)

      Kara

      Delete
  3. Unplug! - That's a great one but would be really hard too.

    Hope your second and third days have been better. That really is so sweet about your one student. I love those moments :) Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unplugging is really hard!! It's definitely going to have to be ultra-deliberate, as "plugging in" is such a habit more than anything!

      Thanks so much, Brie. I hope the beginning of your year has been going well!

      Kara

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover