Monday, September 1, 2014

September Currently

It's September today, which feels crazy to me! This summer flew by.


Listening - I'm enjoying my last morning of summer with my coffee out on my back deck! I'm going to miss my free Mondays and Fridays, especially my lazy mornings!

Loving - In attempt to budget more consistently, I've decided to start using the "cash envelope system" - anyone else use this? The theory is that paying for everything in cash makes you think more consciously about what you're spending - I know when I pay for everything with my credit or debit card, it's definitely easy to throw those impulse buys that add up (and I don't really need) into the cart! September is going to be my first month using the system. I got these super-cute laminated envelopes to help!
Tabbed envelopes for each of my chosen budget categories - and I love how it fits perfectly into my wallet! I got these envelopes on etsy - here's a link to the store I got them from - she has tons of cute designs, you can choose your own categories, and they arrived so quickly! (And no, she did not ask me to advertise - I just happen to think they're great!) I'm hoping this system will allow me to save $ and be more thoughtful about purchases.

Thinking - It's my first day back to school with kids tomorrow! It's my 11th year of teaching, and I still get nervous for the first day (I don't think that's ever going to change)! I actually woke up in a panic at 6 this morning thinking it was the first day and I wasn't ready! I had to triple-check my phone for the date before I convinced myself I didn't need to be up and could go back to sleep.

Wanting - Fall weather! It's been a cooler summer overall this year, but the past couple weeks have been very hot and humid, and I'm ready for fall! I'm mostly ready to wear jeans and sweaters again! I just love fall clothes. And pumpkin spice lattes :)

Needing - I have lots of last-minute chores to do today. I'm going to use my new cash envelopes at the grocery store, which is exciting...laundry is less exciting!

3 Trips - I've been fortunate to be able to travel to some pretty cool places, both internationally and in the US...I absolutely love traveling and would love to do more of it! I've always wanted to go to Australia (I think ever since I read "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day" as a kid!). I've never been to the Pacific Northwest of the US and would love to go there - preferably in the fall; how beautiful would that be? And China is another place on my bucket list!

7 comments:

  1. Kara, I completely agree with the cool weather. I am over this heat!!! Good luck on your first day of school! You will be great! :) Australia is beautiful. I went there in high school and never wanted to come back. Seriously, it was the best trip of my life. If you can ever get all the way over there, I recommend it with my whole heart!

    Happy Semptember!
    Meredith
    Creativity to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I started using the cash envelopes in August! We saved so much money by doing it! I became so frugal this past month it wasn't even funny! Hope you enjoy it too!
    Lindsey
    Chalkboard Charm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I start back tomorrow too! So, make sure you enjoy today :) My hubs and I did the cash system and loved it- it really makes you think! We haven't been as strict with it lately, but still use mostly cash and a weekly "allowance" amount. (After seeing your envelopes.. I kind of want them and to be a bit more intentional again) Good luck tomorrow!!
    - Melissa

    Mrs. Reed's Resource Room

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your first day tomorrow!! It will be awesome, I'm sure!! My husband and I need to do the cash envelopes, I just can't convince him that we need to do it!! :) I agree the fall weather will be nice!!

    Mrs. 3rd Grade 

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a cute cash envelope! I've heard about that system before. I feel like everyone who does it says it is really great.

    Can't believe your ready for the fall weather! I mean, I love fall...but that means winter will be coming! :)

    Brie - Breezy Special Ed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tomorrow is the beginning of week 5 for us. And the summer just BLEW by! I did sneak in some travel. Went to London, Brugges and Amsterdam this year. I moved to the Atlanta area from the Seattle area. I'd suggest visiting the Pacific Northwest the last couple weeks of July. Autumn there isn't that fun. It's never that hot there, even the deepest summer days. But if you go too late, you may get snowed out of the cool places to visit. Really.

    My new student this year is named Kara. Interesting...

    I teach EBD AU high school. My students are 15-21. I can still find good things on your blog to use with them. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover